Sunday, October 2, 2011

Iglulik (or Igloolik) NU

Iglulik (or Igloolik) NU Sept 2 to 7th 2011

I was in town to work over Labor Day weekend. Not that that mattered. When I’m up North to work…let’s getter done.

I remember a few things about this hamlet.

First I had to share a room with a co-worker. Better him that someone I didn’t know. They had satellite too, which gets better channels than my Iqaluit place and luckily we seem to have roughly the same taste. Must be an older (yah not old, older) guy thing. Discovery channel etc.

Secondly, a cruise ship of likely rich people came into town 1 evening. You must be rich to come on an Arctic cruise or at least have a bit too much money. Hey I’m no commie so do what you want with your dough, but haven’t you people heard of the Caribbean or Mediterranean?


Anyway the towns people all came out with tents set up and did something. By the time we realized it was happening it was mostly over. Not sure what the demo was. There were tents with handmade articles for sale etc. and I think perhaps some dancing. Man, every time something happens that maybe worth seeing, I miss it. I hope the cruise people left some of their mullah in town.

Thirdly, they have this environment building in town that looks like a space ship on a pedestal. We even got to go inside. It occupants say that its neat but it leaks and is really cold at times. I guess eventually the honeymoon phase of working there wears off and you are stuck in just another work place with a great view of the town.

The forth thing was the building that indicated it is either now or was at some time a radio station. I love the murals that end up on the sides of some of these places. Lots of smaller drawings seem to evolve into these cool murals. There are two awesome ones in Iqaluit but that’s another blog post. This one was pretty cool as well.

They are also building a huge new Catholic Church right across from the Hotel (and beside the “radio station”). Some of the newer structures up here are impressive. Very well done and modem looking and feeling. I’m sure this new building won’t disappoint when it’s done.

As mentioned before the people we meet walking always seem to have a hello for yah. Whether they know it or not, a hello and smile go a long way to make these trips easier. The people we worked with and at the hotel also where nice as well.

Though I’d prefer my own room, I wouldn’t mind going back to Igloolik.









3 comments:

  1. I bet it was a community feast they had. Chances are they may have hacked a poor defenceless seal to bits and ate it raw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see some of the strangest things up there sometimes?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, how was their culture? What Re the warmer days like? What is the main source of revenue? What where you doing there for work?

    ReplyDelete